Wednesday, July 27, 2005

The Shinners do Seinfeld

Newspapers in Ireland and Britain are reporting that Gerry Adams, along with Martin McGuinness, has resigned from the IRA's governing Army Council. The two themselves alone have said nothing, not least because of the awkward conjunction of such an event with their past denials of such a role, which for Gerry extended to a denial that he was even an IRA member. Perhaps a useful analogy to explain Gerry's separation from his alleged job is provided by the classic Bizarro World Seinfeld episode; visualise Gerry as Kramer:

[Day, interior of Brand/Leland, KRAMER's in LELAND's office. LELAND's a greying man.]
KRAMER: What did you want to see me about, Mr. Leland?
LELAND: Kramer, I've.. been reviewing your work.. Quite frankly, it stinks.
KRAMER: Well, I ah.. been havin' trouble at home and uh.. I mean, ah, you know, I'll work harder, nights, weekends, whatever it takes..
LELAND: No, no, I don't think that's going to, do it, uh. These reports you handed in. It's almost as if you have no business training at all.. I don't know what this is supposed to be!
KRAMER: Well, I'm uh, just--tryin' to get ahead..
LELAND: Well, I'm sorry. There's just no way that we could keep you on.
KRAMER: I don't even really work here!
LELAND: That's what makes this so difficult.

No comments: