Friday, October 07, 2005

The invasion that dare not speak its name

Weirdly un-Churchillian rhetoric from Dubya today in a brief media Q&A session with the Hungarian PM:

Q I would like to raise the question to President Bush, as well, if, as far as you know, you've got an invitation from the Hungarian government for next year for the 50th anniversary of the 1956 revolution? So would you accept this invitation?

PRIME MINISTER GYURCSNY: (As translated.) We certainly spoke about the invitation ... I extended an invitation to the President for next year to Hungary, and I'm completely certain that he will come. (Laughter.)

PRESIDENT BUSH: Well, he did extend the invitation, and I appreciate the invitation, because 1956 means a lot to a lot of Americans. A lot of Americans came from Hungary to live here after the '56 incidents. They can trace their history to our country because of those -- of what took place in Hungary. Plus, a lot of Americans followed the incidents in 1956, and appreciated and respected the courage of folks who were willing to stand up for freedom and liberty.

See, 1956 says to us, there are key moments in history when ordinary citizens are willing to defend the right for all to be free. And so it's an important event. I told the Prime Minister, I'm not my own scheduler. I will pass the word on how important this event is, and I will look very carefully at the invitation.


Given that the Soviet invasion of Hungary would fit so well with his one-time theme of Yalta as betrayal, why the reluctance to tell it like it is now? New messages from Pootie-Poot's soul?

No comments: