Saturday, June 10, 2006

Thank God Rudy was Mayor

Another insight from Rudy Giuliani on his thinking on 9/11; the Wall Street Journal has a Saturday column where a personality does a book selection and Rudy kicks off with:

1. "Churchill: A Study in Greatness" by Geoffrey Best (Hambledon & London, 2001).

On the night after the attacks of Sept. 11, I remember getting home at about 2:30 a.m. and seeing on my nightstand a book I had been reading, a prepublication copy of Roy Jenkins's forthcoming "Churchill." I picked up this biography of a man who embodied every leadership principle I value--courage, optimism, preparation and a determination to stand up to bullies--and began reading about Churchill's becoming prime minister in 1940.


With the chaos still in full swing, Rudy read a book? And of course when he was reading about Churchill, in his mind, he was reading about himself.

No comments: