Monday, October 23, 2006

In primo, veritas

The fact that the job of a spinner is never the search for truth, but damage control, finds its logical conclusion in this statement, posted on the US State Department website on a Sunday --

In response to questions about his recent interview with Al-Jazeera, the following is a comment attributable to Mr. Alberto Fernandez:

"Upon reading the transcript of my appearance on Al-Jazeera, I realized that I seriously misspoke by using the phrase 'there has been arrogance and stupidity' by the U.S. in Iraq. This represents neither my views nor those of the State Department. I apologize."


This followed a day when the State Department had tried to claim that he was misquoted. He thus follows Generals Richard Dannett and William Caldwell in having blurted out the truth before the spinners could get to them.

No comments: