Wednesday, December 02, 2015

Transnational elites

Rupert Murdoch in his Hudson Institute Global Leadership Award lecture, partially reprinted by the Wall Street Journal (prop. R. Murdoch) --

I was born in Australia, and am proud of my Australian provenance, but I am now an American. Like so many naturalized citizens, I felt that I was an American before I formally became one.

Fact: Rupert Murdoch became a US citizen in 1985 so that he could buy US TV stations, a move which would form the basis of his Fox empire. But it's certainly interesting that even before he formally became a US citizen, his feeling of being American didn't prevent the brazen and rabid support of his UK operations for Maggie Thatcher in the early 1980s. Of course the anomaly of an apparently committed US citizen having inordinate influence on British politics continues to this day.


No comments: