Friday, April 08, 2016

Elites behaving badly

BBC story on the Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby's discovery of his biological father's identity --

Lady Williams, whose marriage to Gavin Welby broke up in 1958, had worked as secretary to Sir Winston [Churchill] during his final spell as prime minister. In a statement published on the internet she said: "Although my recollection of events is patchy, I now recognize that during the days leading up to my very sudden marriage, and fuelled by a large amount of alcohol on both sides, I went to bed with Anthony Montague Browne. "It appears that the precautions taken at the time didn't work and my wonderful son was conceived as a result of this liaison."

It's one case for sure, but it points to the risk of simplistic assumptions that modern working class dysfunction is driven mainly by risky behaviour.

No comments: